New Dog and Cat Rescue project in South Africa!PROJECT & POD NEWS / 17 December 2017
We are very excited to announce that we are now supporting a Dog and Cat Rescue project in South Africa! Volunteers are needed to help the local team and provide hands on care and much needed attention to mistreated or disowned animals.
The centre we work with feeds and cares for stray and unwanted animals as well as paying veterinary costs for the animals in their care. Whilst at the project volunteers will be involved in a number of activities, including:
- Preparing food and feeding all animals
- Hand feeding kittens and puppies
- Cleaning kennels
- Ensuring all animals have received medication
- Exercising dogs
- Observing and monitoring dogs and cats to check for illness
- Helping at the clinics – dipping against fleas and ticks, deworming, inoculating, mange injections, sterilisation
- Manual work (building enclosures and general maintenance)
One of the most import roles for volunteers is spending time with all of the cats and dogs at the sanctuary. Volunteers are asked to sit and spend time with the animals so they receive much needed care and attention and get comfortable with human interaction.
The project is based in the town of Gordon’s Bay, which is next to Strand (where volunteers stay). Strand is situated between the Cape winelands and one of the Western Cape’s longest stretches of beach. It combines landscapes of imposing mountains and views of the Indian Ocean, so it’s a beautiful place to be!
For more information about the Dog and Cat Rescue project in South Africa and how you can join, please click here.
To receive our full Volunteering Guide you can apply here.